Press release 2
INVESTING IN ROAD SAFETY: A GLOBAL IMPERATIVE FOR THE PRIVATE SECTOR
NOVEMBER 10, 2015
Together for Safer Roads Releases White Paper on How the Private Sector Can Make Roads Safer
What: Deaths from road traffic crashes will be the 5th leading cause of death worldwide by 2030 according to the World Health Organization (WHO). As global leaders meet in Brasilia on November 18- 20 at the 2nd Global High-Level Ministerial Meeting,Together for Safer Roads (TSR), a coalition of 11 global private sector companies concerned about the rising tide of road deaths and injuries, and its independent Expert Panel, is hosting a virtual press conference to share recommendations of the Expert Panel’s year-long study on how to reduce deaths and injuries on the world’s roads, and how the private sector can help.
The Panel is comprised of eminent leaders in road safety, drawn from academia, public health and international organizations, and is led by a former Acting Surgeon General of the U.S. The Panel’s paper, Investing in Road Safety: A Global Imperative for the Private Sector, outlines specific actions the private sector can take to help achieve the goal of the United Nations Decade of Action for Road Safety: to reduce deaths from road traffic collisions by half by the year 2020.
Who: gether for Safer Roads Expert Panel and member companies’ representatives including:
- Kenneth P. Moritsugu, M.D., M.P.H.,FACPM, Rear Admiral, US Public Health Service (Ret.) and former Acting Surgeon General of the United States, Together for Safer Roads’ Expert Panel Chair
- Tony Bliss, Director of Road Safety Management Limited; Honorary Senior Fellow, Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning, University of Melbourne
When: Tuesday, November 10, 2015
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time
- 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Greenwich Mean Time
Where: Web and telephone conference